- 1 Best Air Purifiers for Mold – Top-Picks
- 1.1 1. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier
- 1.2 2. AeraMax Large Room Air Purifier
- 1.3 3. Alen BreatheSmart Classic Large Room Air Purifier
- 1.4 4. Alen T500 HEPA Air Purifier Pet Dander & Odor Black
- 1.5 5. GermGuardian AC5300B 28” 3-in-1 Room Air Purifier
- 1.6 6. Secura 5-in-1 HEPA Air Purifier Cleaner
- 1.7 7. LEVOIT LV-PUR131S Air Purifier for Mold
- 2 What Air Purifier is Best for Mold?
- 3 Air Purifier for Mold Buying Guide
- 4 Mold Health Effects
- 5 How to Test for Mold in the Air?
- 6 What is Black Mold?
- 7 Tips and Techniques for Mold Cleanup
- 8 How to Control Mold Growth Inside Your Home
- 9 How Do Air Purifiers Help With Mold?
- 10 Best Air Purifiers for Mold Comparison Chart
- 11 Wrap Up
Mold is something you just cannot run from. If you don’t do anything about it, it eventually appears and when it does it is not that easy to get rid of. That’s why it is essential to do everything you can to prevent it from attacking your house and your health. Luckily for you, you are reading the ultimate buying guide to getting the best air purifier for mold, and trust us, this device is just what you need.
As you probably already know, the mold is a type of fungi that is not only destroying the look of your home but harms your health as well. It can make you wheeze, cough, and feel discomfort.
For this reason, in this buying guide, we have gathered a lot of useful information, tips, and most importantly, the top 6 reviews on air purifiers for mold. Let’s get started!
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier
|View On Amazon|
AeraMax Large Room Air Purifier
|View On Amazon|
Alen BreatheSmart Classic Large Room Air Purifier
|View On Amazon|
Alen T500 HEPA Air Purifier Pet Dander & Odor Black
|View On Amazon|
GermGuardian AC5300B 28” 3-in-1 Room Air Purifier
|View On Amazon|
Secura 5-in-1 HEPA Air Purifier Cleaner
|View On Amazon|
LEVOIT LV-PUR131S Air Purifier for Mold
|View On Amazon|
Best Air Purifiers for Mold – Top-Picks
Having an air purifier for mold in your home and breathing clean, fresh air is essential. That’s why it is crucial to keep reading and look at the reviews of the top 6 products available on the market nowadays. They aren’t put in any specific order, just choose the one you find most suitable.
1. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier
With Winix 5300-2 air purifier you will always know the state of the air around you thanks to the 5300-2 Smart Sensor. With the help of a LED indicator, the indoor quality from low to the well will be displayed on the monitor. Once the sensor senses a change in the air quality, the fan speed will be adjusted automatically.
This product features a True-HEPA filter, capturing around 99.9% of the dust mites, pollen, airborne pollutants, and others. It is suitable for people with asthma or other kinds of allergies. Another advantage is the three-stage cleaning. The AOC, advanced odor control, technology will minimize the VOCs and household smell from pets, smoke, and cooking. The second stage is when the smell or some bacteria pass through the True HEPA Filter. 99.9% of the airborne allergies will be captured. And the last step is the PlasmaWave technology which operates at a molecular level breaking down chemical vapors, smoke, and other pollutions.
With 4 span speeds, this air purifier is designed to work at the chosen one. It will work quietly even on Turbo Mode.
- Features a Sleep Mode which automatically adjusts the fan speed according to the amount of daylight in the room
- Filter replacement indicator
- Has AOC systems
- Versatility in fan speeds
- Very bright indicating lights which can be dimmed only in silent mode
- Not the most impressive design
2. AeraMax Large Room Air Purifier
The AeraMax air purifier is suitable for large size rooms. Covers from 300 to 600 sq. Ft. It is asthma and allergy certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Due to the True HEPA Filter, 99.9% of the airborne particles including dust mites, mold spores, cigarette smoke, and other pollen household odors will be captured.
Due to the Filter Change Indicator, you will always know when it’s time to replace either of the two filters, a red light will appear on the LED screen. You can manually set the blower speed, or because of the AeraSmart Sensor, the AeraMax 300 air purifier the fan speed will be automatically adjusted.
The AeraMax 300 purifier has 4 stage purification for maximum protection from the indoor bacteria and allergies. It is efficient and extremely quiet.
- Features Auto Detecting Technology senses for maximum air purification.
- It is AAFA Certified
- Due to the Carbon filter, all kind of household odors, cigarette smoke, and pet odors will be captured
- The blue light is very bright and you better not place this purifier in your bedroom.
- The ionizer makes a loud sound, and you have to turn it off every time you turn on the air purifier.
3. Alen BreatheSmart Classic Large Room Air Purifier
With the Alen BreatheSmart Air purifier an area of 1100 sq. Ft. will be cleaned every 30 minutes. It is designed and constructed from the airflow engineers of NASA with a WhisperMax technology. This means that even on turbo mode this unit will work twice as quiet as most of the other products. This unit is excellent for people with allergies. Due to the HEPA-Silver filter being created with an antimicrobial compound the growth of fungi and bacteria will be prevented.
This air purifier is called air-smart because of the features of Laser Smart Technology. This advanced technology will detect airborne particles up to 0.3 microns, and due to the Air Quality Indicator Light, you will always know the status of the air quality around you.
This unit comes with a lifetime warranty. There isn’t any need to worry if this purifier will match your interior because Alen BreatheSmart air purifier comes with 14 different panels.
- Works quietly and has 4 fan speed options
- Features Auto-Mode, automatically adjusting its fan speed
- Lifetime warranty
- Due to the 1.5lbs of activated carbon, this air purifier absorbs smoke, cooking odors and pet smells
- Made of plastic and it feels kind of flimsy
4. Alen T500 HEPA Air Purifier Pet Dander & Odor Black
The Alen T500 HEPA Air Purifier is suitable for office spaces, room, living spaces or any other areas up to 500sq. Ft. You can choose from three different fan speed according to your needs. Because of the WhisperMax Technology system, you will barely notice that the unit is working. That is because the product emits a very low frequency; therefore it is suitable for babies.
A specific characteristic about this air purificator is that has an Ozone Safe Ion Feature. This ion feature produces merely negative ions, cleaning the air effectively and quickly. This Ozone Safe System can be switched on and off at any time.
Another advantage is that The T500 air purifier is very compact and small. Standing is around 22 inches tall, and it is suitable small to medium areas, cleaning up to 500sq. Ft. With the filter indicator signal, you will always know when to replace it. Features three fan speed.
- Small and compact and at the same time powerful. It can clean up to 500sq. ft twice per hour
- Due to WhisperMax Technology, you will barely hear the air purifier
- Features HEPA filter layers cleaning 99.9% of the bacteria and dust
- Lifetime warranty
- There is no indicator showing you when the room is clean
5. GermGuardian AC5300B 28” 3-in-1 Room Air Purifier
The GermGuardian AC5300B is a very reliable air purifier for your home due to the 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System. With the help of the HEPA filter, you can be sure that 99.9% of the allergens and dust, with a size of 0.3 microns, will be captured. The HEPA filter is recommended from the American Academy of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology for reducing exposure to indoor asthma triggers.
This air purifier features a UV-c light, which instantly kills germs. With the help of the charcoal filter, any household or pet odor or cigarettes will be removed from the air. Due to its small size, 28 inches standing, this air purifier can be used both in small to large areas. You must know that this unit has a 5-year warranty and if you want to maintain product performance, you must use only Genuine Guardian Technology.
It is better to change the filter every 5 to 6 months. The Filter Change Indicator will inform you when to replace it.
- Features 3 fan speed: low, medium, turbo
- Works quietly
- Simple and classic design
- Has a 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System
- Doesn’t capture odors very well
- Working on maximum speed, it can be a little noisy
6. Secura 5-in-1 HEPA Air Purifier Cleaner
The Secura 5-in-1 Air Purifier is functional and will clean 99.9% of dust, pollen, mold spores, pet, and household odors because of the 5-in-1 Composite Filtration System. This advanced system features pre-filter, real HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, cold catalyst filter, and negative ion generator. Releasing negative ions into the air, with the ion generator the production of airborne bacteria and contaminants will be minimized. Your air quality will quickly increase. You can manually adjust the three different fan speeds.
This air purifier features auto-on and auto-off timers. After 1,2 or 4 hours your unit will automatically stop working. Works quietly and has a Sleeping Mode which will allow you to sleep well and undisturbed. But bear in mind that the blue light can be quite bright.
Uses 40 watts of power to work. The Secura 5-in-1 air purifier is efficient, providing you with high air quality.
- Features advanced 5-in-1 Filtration System
- Because of the ion generator, a negative oxygen ion is released into the air to refresh the space
- Three fan speed
- Auto-off and on timers
- This unit has s Sleep Mode, with the help of which you will not be bothered by the working purifier, while sleeping
- It can be noisy working on maximum speed
7. LEVOIT LV-PUR131S Air Purifier for Mold
The LV-PUR131S from LEVOIT is a versatile air purifier that can be used in rooms up to 322sq feet and has a unique 3-stage filtration system for powerful air purification. It removes pet dander, dust, allergens. It also eliminates unpleasant smells and makes the air much lighter.
The difference is felt almost immediately after plugging it in and turning it on. This purifier has a special kind of air quality monitoring that keeps you informed about the air in your home. And having this monitor is perfect for the Auto mode.
What is attractive about this product is that it also has a Sleep mode and reduces the noise levels under 50dB. This might make it the quietest one on our list.
But what‘s the most impressive thing here is that it can be operated remotely through your phone with a free app.
Another impressive Levoit model Vital 100 that has very similar features.
- Clean, modern design that can fit any room.
- It‘s easy to install, and the filter is easily replaced.
- The filter life can be tracked with the mobile app and on the purifier itself.
- The filter needs to be changed more often if it clears cigarette smoke and cooking odors.
What Air Purifier is Best for Mold?
Mold plays a crucial role in the eco-environment outside. However, when the spores from this organism come into our home and start reproducing, they can create serious health effects. This is one and the most important reason why we need to take care of mold and get an air purifier against them.
When it comes to choosing such a device, you might want to consider the best air purifier for allergies as well, because sometimes mold leads to such problems. Another thing to think about is where it will be placed. Will it be at your house, office or underground? We will look into all of that and more, to get you fully equipped with information, to make an excellent decision for your situation.
What is the “Go-to” Type of Air Purifier for Mold?
There is a wide variety of technology that an air purifier can have, sometimes even in combination. Now we will look at all of them, we will say the advantages of each one if they have such. However, because everyone has different standards, we leave it to you to decide, which one would be the best for your price point.
- HEPA filter – The standard HEPA system can remove up to 99.97% of particles, in sizes bigger or as much as 0.3 microns. For reference, usually, mold spores are more substantial than this size, which means that they will be trapped by the filter. Smaller once can pass through, but the problem here is that mold can start growing on the surface of the system.
- PECO – This stands for Photo Electrochemical Oxidation, it uses light-activated catalytic reaction, which destroys all particles that pass through the system. This is an advantage over the HEPA because it doesn’t allow for the organism to grow on its surface.
- PCO – Photocatalytic Oxidation is a forerunner for the PECO variation. The difference here is that it is inefficient and can generate ozone, as a side effect even cause irritation to the respiration system.
- UVGI – Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation is meant to sterilize air thus killing any bad organisms such as mold and viruses. Even though EPA implies that as efficient, to do it, it has to create an intense UV radiation, more than what a home unit is suitable for.
- Carbon filter – This type is used to remove airborne chemicals from the air, by trapping the gases on an activated carbon filter. This type exists, but it is not suitable for the removal of mold spores, because it is not intended to do so.
- Ionizing Air Purifiers – They make the particles stick to the nearby surface, thanks to an electric charge. They are successful in doing this; however, they have a lot of drawbacks that make them unworthy of using. Much like PCO, they generate ozone, which is harmful and shouldn’t be breathing it.
Air Purifier for Mold Buying Guide
The Top 5 Things to Look for When Buying an Air Purifier for Mold
This one is the most crucial element. The best you can get is an air purifier with a 2-stage filtration system. A good option is a model with a HEPA and an activated carbon filter. Because they will remove from the air both the odor and the mold spores.
This is just a more useful feature to have because it allows you to control the rate of air circulation. For instance, during really humid cold weather, mold grows quicker so you can set up the fan on a higher level to get an excellent complete clean.
Meanwhile, during warmer weather, you can turn it down and ventilate by opening your windows. Some models have a smart sensor, which makes them evaluate the quality of air and make adequate changes depending on the mold pollution in the air.
There are other types of filters as well, but we recommend this one because it captures spores that are the size of 0.3 microns, which is more than satisfactory for mold spores.
Now, there are different types of filters, there are “true-HEPA,” “HEPA-style” or even “HEPA-grade” filters. The one that performs best is the true-HEPA, however, if you are restricted by a specific budget, a device with a HEPA-grade will still play well.
: We did talk earlier what it means to have a smart sensor, where the device assesses and makes changes according to the quality of air. We are mentioning it again as more of an additional feature, if you have a bigger budget, it just makes things more precise and easier, either getting the best budget air purifier is a priority.
Noise and lights
That varies on the model, some make more noise than others, and some have fainter lights, in comparison to other devices. They aren’t something crucial to the performance of purifying the air; however, it is good to be aware of them, especially if you are someone who can’t sleep if there is any noise or light close by. Now that when you read reviews in regards to this, it really depends on one’s tolerance, some might find a particular machine really quiet, while another one complains how noisy it is. But in all fairness, this is a trait which almost all heating systems share, and we’ve discussed it in our articles.
Things To Consider When You Are Buying An Air Purifier For Mold
There are a lot of factors to keep in mind when looking at devices for air purification. Some of them include the technology of the item or the area it can cover. But let’s take a look at why do these things matter.
There are different types of techniques when it comes to these devices; however, some of them produce better results when working together. For instance, HEPA or High-Efficiency Particle Arresting filtration, along with silver ion technology and UV light is a good mix.
Firstly HEPA is the central filtration, which removes as much as 99.97% of airborne particles at 0.3 microns or more. The advantage of having the additional silver ion technology when it comes to mold growth is its antimicrobial properties. Finally, the added UV light will keep your HEPA filter, and it’s surface clean and safe from mold spores growth.
Every device has a specific coverage area, within this limit it produces amazing optimal results. This is why it’s vital to place such items in square footage that is within its limit of covering. For instance, what we mean by that is if you have a mold air purifier that can perform well in a 400 sq. Ft., then it should only be placed in a space that is up to 400 sq. Ft. big or less. If you put it in a bigger room, then the performance will suffer.
This might seem like something that isn’t really essential; however, the mold is always present. Because of this, it is common to get it inside our houses. And since even if you do terminate it, it can still come back pretty quickly, you have to invest in a device that will last in an inevitable future. To know you are covered on this, check the warranty on your air purifier.
Mold Health Effects
So we looked into air purifiers, how all the different kinds of work and what features are vital for a good performance, but now let’s look at why you need one in your home?
Even if the mold wasn’t a factor, us humans when we are exposed to damp environments we can start developing different health issues, depending on our sensitivity. However, we are going to look at mold specifically, because some people are more susceptible to it. For such people, these organisms can lead to nasal stuffiness, coughing or wheezing, irritation of the throat, eyes or with some, even on the skin. Other individuals have mold allergies, which cause more intense reactions.
Those who already have chronic lung illnesses or have problems with their immune system can get severe infections in their lungs when exposed to mold. This means that they in no case should get in areas that can have mold, such spots are cut grass and wooded areas.
There have been many studies throughout the years that found a link between indoor mold and upper respiratory tract symptoms, such as coughs, asthma and more. There are many mold еffects on human health, and we recommend reading more about it, especially if you know someone who suffers from problems related to mold spores.
How to Test for Mold in the Air?
Viable mold test kits are one of the more popular ways to test your air due to their availability in home improvement stores and online retailers. But it does vary from one test kit to another. It is important to know that some of them are designed to only test if mold can be found on surfaces. If you want to test if it’s in the air you breathe, you need to know how to check your air quality. A test kit for home air quality might come handy at this point.
The whole process of testing takes a few days, and if in the end, it shows positive that you do have mold spores in the air, we recommend you send the test materials to a lab. Because it will perform a further examination into finding out what type of mold exists exactly.
Keep in mind that the US Environmental Protection Agency does not support any kind of home mold test kit. In fact, it endorses homeowners to get their homes professionally tested if they question the presence of mold. So know this if you decide to use do-it-yourself kits.
What is Black Mold?
The name comes from the very dark green or black color of this type of fungus. It has a specific musty or damp, mildew odor. Black mold can be one of a variety of spores, such as Stachybotrys chartarum. It usually grows on finishes that include cellulose, such materials are fiberboard, wood, gypsum board, or paper. Overall mold can grow easily and quickly in conditions where it is warm and humid.
The same goes for Black mold and rooms that have these exact circumstances are bathrooms and shower cubicles. However, it can be found in other areas where you can’t spot it easily, such as a burst pipe or flooding or even between the layers of a wall or underneath carpets and floorboards. If you are also looking for portable carpet cleaners, do your research.
This type of mold is not dangerous in themselves; however, they can release unhealthy, risky toxins into the surroundings. If inhaled, the viruses can cause health issues and symptoms. People with chronic respiratory problems are even more susceptible to this and have a higher risk of experiencing them. This is also why such people get a fantastic air purifier for allergies because it helps deal with things that can trigger their problems, in addition to mold spores.
Tips and Techniques for Mold Cleanup
When you are preparing to clean mold, you have to consider a few things first. Initially, if the moldy area is less than 10 square feet than most of the time, you can take care of it by yourself. However, if there was a lot of water damage, and/or the growth is more significant than 10 square feet, we suggest you consult EPA guide Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings.
To help the process of cleaning and stop the spreading of mold, make sure you fix any kind of plumb leakage or other water problem you might have. Dry everything, then scrub off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and once again dry it thoroughly.
Sometimes you might have to throw away molded materials, such as ones that are absorbent or porous, these are ceiling tiles or carpets. That is because mold goes into the empty spaces and pores, thus making it really hard or even impossible to get rid of altogether.
It is also necessary to know what to wear when cleaning moldy areas. Do not expose yourself or others to the fungi. Also, if you are going to paint over the surfaces, to cover up the problem, you first must wait for it to dry entirely. If you rush and do it, it is indeed likely that the paint will peel.
If you have to clean an expensive or essential item, it might be a good idea to consult a specialist, someone in furniture repair, restoration, etc.
How to Control Mold Growth Inside Your Home
We already talked about some tips on how to prevent moisture and mold problems inside your home, because they relate back to other stuff we mentioned, but briefly say again you can work on this by:
- Monitoring the levels of moisture;
- Fixing leakages on pipes, roofs, windows and checking them periodically;
- Extensively cleaning and drying after flooding;
- Ventilating areas with higher humidity, such as cooking, shower, and laundry areas.
It is important to note once you clean up the mold, you also need to fix the moisture problem, which leads to the growth of fungi. You can remove mold from hard finishes with commercial products, such as soap and water. If you choose to use bleach, 1 cup of household laundry bleach is to be used for 1 gallon of water.
If you decide to try this method of cleaning, with bleach, then you need to know this:
- Under no conditions mix bleach with ammonia or any other household cleaners. If mixed, they will create dangerous, toxic fumes.
- While cleaning, ventilate the space well, and open windows and doors for fresh air to come in. In case of bad weather, use your ventilation system.
- Wear non-porous gloves and protective eyewear.
- Make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using any kind of cleaning product.
Mold Prevention Tips
You can work on some things that will stop or minimize the growth of mold. These things are:
- Cleaning routinely rooms such as bathrooms, showers and other humid rooms, because they are more likely to birth mold.
- To prevent moisture from building up and lead to the continuation of mold spores, you can use a top-rated dehumidifier in spaces where the damp is an issue, as the best humidifier for the bedroom. This way you don’t create the right conditions for it to thrive in.
- Keep all surfaces and walls, floors, ceilings dry.
- Ventilate well and keep spaces warm during cold, stormy weather. Cooling and heating your house does play a significant role when it comes to taking care of mold spores.
- In bathrooms and kitchens, to not build up any odor or moisture use exhaust fans, and avoid having carpets or rugs here. Something handy here is getting a great dehumidifier for basements, which can help with moisture building into your home.
- Because there are occasions when mold grows in a space that is hard to see, we advise regularly checking things such as pipes, gutters, and air conditioners. This will prevent potential leaks and water damage.
How Do Air Purifiers Help With Mold?
To just explain, the fungi, which is mold release spores into the air. Then they float about until they make their way into your lungs as you breathe them in. If there is an air purifier, it will draw air into its filter, remove particles, such as mold and then push out the clean air back into the room.
This is at the basics; however, more things play a role, because some filters need additional protection so the mold won’t stick to its surface and start growing there.
Best Air Purifiers for Mold Comparison Chart
|Alen BreatheSmart Classic Large Room Air Purifier||$$$$$||10 x 17.8 x 26.8"||21 pounds||9-12 Months||1,100 Square Feet|
|Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier||$$||14.9 x 7.8 x 23.6"||18 pounds||5-10 Months||360 Square Feet|
|AeraMax 300 Large Room Air Purifier||$$$$||8.1 x 16 x 25.1"||12.5 pounds||up to 12 months||300 - 600 square feet|
|GermGuardian AC5300B 28” 3-in-1 Room Air Purifier||$$||9.1 x 6.7 x 27.6"||11 pounds||6-8 Months||up to 167 square feet|
|Secura 5-in-1 HEPA Air Purifier Cleaner||$||23.5 x 15 x 9.5"||13.3 pounds||5000 hours||430 square feet|
|Alen T500 HEPA Air Purifier Pet Dander & Odor Black||$$$||10 x 6 x 22"||9 pounds||6-9 Month||up to 500 square feet|
Well done, you guys – you have successfully arrived at the end of our buying guide to getting the best air purifier for mold. After reading this ultimate buying guide and our air purifier for mold reviews, you now know how many things you have to keep in mind and be careful with.
We really hope that you have found the information in this piece useful, and if that is true, we would be glad if you share the article with all your friends and family. Don’t hesitate to tell us what you think about this article, write us an email or leave us a comment.
Helping our readers find what they look for is our number one task. Therefore, we have many other articles devoted to choosing the most reliable products for your household, like the best air fresheners for bathroom use. Make sure you have some free time to go check them out! Thanks for reading, and as always- stay put!