- 1 Reviews of Humidifiers for Allergies (Updated List)
- 1.1 1. Aprilaire 500 Whole House Humidifier
- 1.2 2. Homasy Cool Mist Humidifiers
- 1.3 3. Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic 5L/1.32 Gal
- 1.4 4. MIRO-NR08M Completely Washable Sanitary Humidifier
- 1.5 5. OPOLAR EV01 Digital Evaporative Humidifier
- 1.6 6. TaoTronics Top Fill Humidifiers
- 1.7 7. iTvanila Humidifiers,1 Gal Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- 2 What Do We Call a Humidifier?
- 3 Why Do I Need a Humidifier? (Benefits & Drawbacks)
- 4 Humidifier and Accessories
- 5 Different Types of Humidifiers
- 6 Humidifiers vs. Dehumidifiers
- 7 Best Humidifiers for Allergies Comparison Chart
- 8 Your Questions – Our Answers
- 9 Wrap Up
Most people say that their allergies flare up when the trees start to blossom during springtime. What they forget is that allergies are nurtured when the air is excessively dry, especially during the winter. So you have decided to take care of the well-being in your own home with the best humidifier for allergies. You are already one step ahead in improving the quality of the air at home.
Reading this article, you will learn what a humidifier is and how exactly these machines work. Moreover, we offer you a list of reviews of humidifiers for allergies. Each of them comes with a set of standard features, and some might be specifically designed for your personal needs.
We know that making a choice might be difficult, but we guarantee you that with our buying guide, the decision will seem as light as the clean air that you desire.
Aprilaire 500 Whole House Humidifier
|View On Amazon|
Homasy Cool Mist Humidifiers
|View On Amazon|
Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic 5L/1.32 Gal
|View On Amazon|
MIRO-NR08M Completely Washable Sanitary Humidifier
|View On Amazon|
OPOLAR EV01 Digital Evaporative Humidifier
|View On Amazon|
TaoTronics Top Fill Humidifiers
|View On Amazon|
iTvanila Humidifiers,1 Gal Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
|View On Amazon|
Reviews of Humidifiers for Allergies (Updated List)
1. Aprilaire 500 Whole House Humidifier
The first product on our list impressed us because it can cover up to 3,000 square feet of space. Therefore, its capabilities include the humidification of the whole house and not just that of a single room. Bear in mind that for this reason, it needs quite significant amounts of water. However, it is a very efficient humidifier that will improve the quality of the air in your house. It is designed with dual sensors which can register both indoor and outdoor temperatures. It will thus be more natural to know exactly how much humidity will be needed. The light indicators will notify you when you should change the water panel or when the humidity should be increased. Although the humidifier can serve a whole house, it will save you money when it comes to electricity bills. The unit connects to your heating system and uses the air already circulating in the house. It functions through evaporation of the water supplied to the humidifier when it enters into contact with the air. The product comes with a warranty only in the case that you call a professional contractor to mount the humidifier. The wiring is quite tricky, so it might be a good idea to use some help. Other than that, the product will be easy to use.
- Light indicators
- Humidification of the whole house
- Saves money on electricity bills
- Warranty in the case of professional installation
- Uses up a lot of water
- Wiring is difficult and unclear
2. Homasy Cool Mist Humidifiers
The Homasy Cool Mist Humidifier is a perfect fit for a room in your house, especially for bedroom use. It covers areas of up to 550 square feet, and it can be filled by up to 5 liters of water. This amount of water is just enough to vaporize a room in 40 hours. This means that you will not need to fill it too often. Moreover, the weight of the vaporizer is not too much to carry from room to room. However, this product is not designed for the most comfortable use. The lack of a top handle makes it difficult to pick up. The hole from which you fill the water is located at the bottom of the humidifier, and it is quite small. This makes maintenance a bit more complicated. But if these details do not bother you, rest assured that the product functions pretty well. It is quiet and perfect even for a baby dorm. It comes with an activated-charcoal filter for pure and light, breathable air. The nano-water molecules are beneficial for your skin. The material it is made from does not allow water leakage for your peace of mind. Make sure you regularly clean the humidifier for efficient and more extended use. If you are not satisfied in the first 45 days, your money will be returned to you.
- Quiet and perfect for bedrooms
- Up to 40 hours humidification
- Not heavy
- Provides pure and skin-friendly air
- No top handle
- Difficult to clean
- No instructions available
3. Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic 5L/1.32 Gal
The next product is capable of serving smaller areas and rooms, but it is nonetheless a good pick. The capacity of its tank is 5 liters, and it can run for up to 30 hours with low mist. It can run at 3 mist levels – at the medium level, it can run for 20 hours without a refill and 15 with the high mist level. Its great advantage is that it is not equipped with a filter. This means that you will not need to change it regularly and this will save you money. This product will purify your air thanks to the antibacterial materials. It is suitable for a bedroom, an office, or even a baby room. What is more important is that you can switch the night mode on, and it will barely make a sound while you are sleeping. The humidifier has a touch screen so you can keep track of the indoor humidity and the temperature in the room. However, the downside of this product is that you cannot adjust the humidity emissions. It is vital that you clean the water tank weekly using a solution of vinegar and water. Let it dry before the next round of water. The ABS material used for the base of the humidifier serves as a protection from leakage. Distilled water is the best choice because it can avoid mold if you didn’t clean it often. Please use normal temperature water. DO NOT use hot water. In case you are not satisfied, you can benefit from the 90 days warranty.
- 3 mist levels
- Quiet night mode
- Up to 30 hours at low mist without refilling
- 90-days warranty
- Base prevents leaking
- No humidity emission adjustment available
4. MIRO-NR08M Completely Washable Sanitary Humidifier
The Miro-NR08M humidifier stands out amongst other air purifiers for the design of its components. It is impressive that the product has been designed to be fully waterproof. Every element can be quickly taken apart, and even the mist-maker and fan can be washed. The product requires regular maintenance to be in good shape. Therefore, keep in mind that you will have to clean the unit with warm water about every 48 hours to prevent mold growth and corrosion. This humidifier can run a shorter time with a full tank. It fits 1 gallon of water and can run for 8 hours continuously. In spite of its small capacity, it can cover 600 square feet of space. You have the freedom to adjust the colors of the LED lights from a single tone to the whole specter of the rainbow. Or you can simply turn them off. You should be informed that this product is slightly pricey for the amount of time that it can run without the need to refill the tank. However, all features are efficiently designed for the product to complete the tasks it has been assigned to do. It offers you a choice between different modes thanks to the 2 swappable vapor caps. A significant advantage of this particular humidifier is that you can install it on a bed-side table and not only on the floor.
- Fully washable and waterproof
- Different color LED lights
- 2 swappable vapor caps
- Bed-side table installation
- Works a shorter period before it requires a refill.
5. OPOLAR EV01 Digital Evaporative Humidifier
The next product on our list will provide you with clean air for 24 hours. The filter is constructed like a honeycomb, which does not let any mineral deposits or dust grain be released in the air. Thus, you breathe the purest and healthiest air. The fan makes almost zero noise and will not disturb your sleep. The product is constructed in a way that prevents water leakage. It will save you money on both water and energy bills. Unfortunately, this product does not turn off automatically when it runs out of water. Another drawback is that the LED lights stay on during the night. However, the light is soft and subtle enough, not to disturb your sleep. The unit comes with a touch screen. Bear in mind that the display is not sensitive enough and makes operations slightly harder. It is advisable that you clean it to prevent corrosion. The regularity depends on the mineral content of your water. The harder the water, the more often you will need to wash the tank. This is an easy task, thanks to the design of the humidifier. You can open the grill and use a solution of vinegar and water to wash the unit. Filling it is also made more comfortable because you don’t need to open the base. Overall, it is a product with efficient construction for optimal results.
- 24 hours of continuous work
- Quiet almost unnoticeable fan sound
- Energy saver
- Easy to clean and refill
- 1-year warranty
- No auto turn-off
- LED lights cannot be turned off
- The touch screen is not sensitive enough
6. TaoTronics Top Fill Humidifiers
The TaoTronics humidifier is impressive for its stylish design and efficient features. The components are easy to clean thanks to the wide opening of the water tank. This also allows you to refill the tank without the risk of pouring water outside of the unit. The capacity of the humidifier is about 4.3 liters, and it can run for 17-36 hours depending on the mist settings. If you choose to run it on high mist levels, the water will run out quicker. Nonetheless, that time will still be enough to humidify the air while you are sleeping. The manufacturer has designed the product to be whisper-quiet. However, it is our responsibility to inform you that the humidifier will still emit some noise. That noise should not be too loud to bother your sleep. Unfortunately, you cannot turn the night light off, but that should not disturb you. The soft blue color is suitable even for your bedroom. A significant advantage of this product is that it does not require a filter. This will save you some more money. In the case of a defect, you can benefit from the 18-month warranty that the manufacturer offers you.
- Stylish design
- Easy to clean and refill
- No filter needed
- 18-month warranty
- Produces a bit of noise
- Blue night light cannot be turned off
7. iTvanila Humidifiers,1 Gal Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
The last humidifier on our list does not lag behind the other ones. The iTvanila Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is capable of working continuously between 15 and 42 hours depending on the mist settings. If you want to run it at the highest mist, you will need to refill it more often. However, even 15 hours will be enough to provide moisture during the night. When it comes to sleeping, this humidifier is designed to produce only a whisper noise that should not disturb you. The product is versatile and can be positioned anywhere in your house, even on the carpet. It will automatically shut off when the water content is low. This gives you a peace of mind the whole time, day and night. The construction allows for easy maintenance. You can refill the humidifier from the top and access any part when you need to clean the water tank. The humidifier is relatively light, and you can carry it from one room to another. It is advisable that you use bottled or distilled water for healthier air and more prolonged exploitation. In the case that there is a defect, the company offers a 1-year warranty and a lifetime technical assistance. Overall, it is a great product that will provide you with cleaner air, and that will help alleviate your allergies.
- Light and efficient design
- Easy to maintain and refill
- 3 mist output modes
- Can be placed on a variety of surfaces
- Auto shut-off
- Emits a slight sound when running.
What Do We Call a Humidifier?
It is incredible how much people can benefit from a humidifier, but… what is a humidifier, and why do I need one? We will not let this question linger unanswered, and in the next few sections, you will learn everything you need to know about humidifiers: the types, the installation, the functions, the effects they have on allergies.
For now, we will begin with a definition of the product. A humidifier is a machine that you plug in the wall socket or one that you can connect to your ductwork in the case of whole house humidifiers. The different types of humidifiers function slightly differently from one another. However, the main idea is the same – the machine uses water vapor to add moisture to the air in your house or flat.
Since the air sometimes struggles with its dry nature, the humidifier will help it be healthier and more breathable. The humidifier can either be a compact, a portable electric device that can cover the area of one or two rooms or it can be a whole system that circulates moistened air around the entire house. Depending on the quality of the air at home, you can choose what is more appropriate for your particular case.
Why Do I Need a Humidifier? (Benefits & Drawbacks)
The essence of the air where you live depends on the location and the season. The time of the year when the air is the driest is during the winter months. The cold weather causes the air to stiffen, which aggravates chronic allergies and damages your health. It is crucial that you are informed about the effects of dry air on the body. In these cases, the air could use some help to loosen up and to improve your state.
Here are the benefits you will feel with a humidifier in your house:
- The humidifier will provide enough moisture for your skin. Skin cracking and chronic eczema could be very painful and even lead to bleeding. The evaporator will stop you from scratching and will reduce the itching of the skin.
- Dry air irritates the eyes and tires your sight a lot faster. This could reduce the hours of productive work. The humidification of the eyes is also very important.
- A humidifier will reduce the risk of respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, and the common cold.
- In the case of chronic allergies, the humidifier might not be able to cure you entirely, but it will most certainly alleviate the symptoms, and you will start feeling more comfortable at your own home.
- When the air is moistened, the indoor temperature increases. With a humidifier, you can save on electricity bills because the warmth will be kept inside. You will spare your class heater some abuse, and you will be able to use it longer.
- Besides your health, a humidifier will help maintain the furniture. Moisture is essential to keeping it in good shape, especially wooden works.
In spite of all the benefits we have already listed, there are some cautions you need to bear in mind when purchasing a humidifier. Like almost any electrical appliance, the plug-in humidifier has two sides of the coin. Here we will present to you the downsides of this type of product:
- The more significant drawback of the humidifier is the one that comes with excessive use. The perfect level of moisture in your house is between 30%-50%. If there is too much moisture, that will create conditions for the growth and development of mold. It would be an adequate decision to call a professional to measure the humidity in your house before you purchase a humidifier.
- Your allergies may flare up in conditions of excessive moisture. Make sure that you always maintain standard levels of healthy humidity with your humidifier.
- Although most humidifiers include a night mode, the fan might still produce some noise. It should not be too loud, and it should not disturb your sleep, but it is good that you are familiar with this fact beforehand.
- The humidifiers that do not come with an auto turn-off function require individual supervision, especially if you leave them on while sleeping. It is not a standard caution not only in regards to humidifiers but also in regards to any kinds of electrical devices.
Humidifier and Accessories
In this section, you will learn what comes in addition to a humidifier. The features are what constitute the most practical pick.
- Humidistat – This is the device that measures the percentage of humidity that is already circulating in your house. If the humidifier is automatic, the humidistat will tell it when it needs to be running. If your machine is manual, then you will read the numbers that the humidistat is giving you, and you will know whether more moisture is needed.
- Auto turn-off – This feature is particularly important because it will give the humidifier the freedom to switch off when the water content is low. This way, you can sleep peacefully without worrying about your safety.
- Top-fill – Some humidifiers need to be filled when you open the bottom of the device. This is difficult and inconvenient. Therefore, look for a humidifier that opens from the top to make regular refilling easier.
- Filter indicator – If your humidifier works with evaporation filters, make sure it will be one that tells you when to change the filter.
- Soft LED lights – If your humidifier is one that provides light, that’s great. But bear in mind that you will need very soft LED lights in case they cannot be turned off at night.
Different Types of Humidifiers
Imagine going to the shop with the clear intention to buy the first humidifier you see. But then you encounter a whole section of different humidifiers and the level of difficulty of choosing the right product increases.
Now let us help you understand the difference between various types of humidifiers!
- Central – This is the whole house type of humidifier that is installed in your heating system. They use the ductwork to suck the dry air that circulates in the house. Then, when the air enters into contact with the water you have poured in the body of the humidifier, it becomes moistened. The duct returns the humidified air into the house.
Since central humidifiers cover the most significant area, they are more expensive than a single-room humidifier. However, if it is essential to you that the air is humid enough in every room of your house, only this type of device will suit your needs.
- Evaporative – Also known as a wick humidifier, this type of device sucks air by an internal fan. There is a wick filter on the inside that works the air thanks to the water in the tank. It then pushes the air into the room to level the amounts of humidity.
The evaporative humidifier works in only one room at a time and needs to be cleaned regularly. It is necessary that you change the filter about every three months or so.
- Steam vaporizer – These can also be found under the description “warm mist humidifiers.” They work based on water heated to boiling until it vaporizes. The steam is then dispersed around the room. This type of product increases the temperature of the room.
The advantage of a steam vaporizer is that it does not accumulate as much mineral deposits. However, you should be careful with them because they could cause mild burns because of the warm air from the boiled water.
- Ultrasonic – Classified as “cool mist humidifiers,” the ultrasonic device produces air through ultrasonic vibrations. They will not bother you with too much noise, and they also come in different sizes. The most convenient feature of theirs is that they do not use filters.
Humidifiers and Pet Dander
Of course, you love your pet! Living with a cat or a dog has multiple benefits, and it helps your children create a great bond with another creature. However, pets can also be a source for the rise of allergies in your house.
Pet dander is the microscopic allergen that comes with the presence of dogs. The dander can easily attach to the surface of furniture, carpets, and bedding. You won’t even notice it. Pet allergens remain in the air for a longer time than other allergens and can make your life uncomfortable.
There is a way to live in perfect symbiosis with your pet and to take care of your allergies at the same time. Besides not letting your pets in the bedroom, you can also use a humidifier or a high-quality air purifier for pets. As has already been noted, your allergies can be alleviated if the humidity of the house is maintained somewhere between 30% and 50%. (Make sure to also check out our reviews of humidifiers for bedrooms.)
On the other hand, an air purifier will clean the air by removing any contaminants from the molecules. This way you can lead a healthy life in cohabitation with your four-legged friend.
Humidifiers vs. Dehumidifiers
Since these two types of devices are located on opposite ends of the humidification line, it could be tricky to define which one is the product of your needs. If you are asking yourself whether a humidifier or a dehumidifier is better for allergies, cold and nasal congestion, ask no more. We will help you understand what does either one do and what effect does it have on common allergies.
As you already know, a humidifier functions by creating a cool or warm mist to increase the moisture levels in the air. A humidifier is of highest use when it is cold outside, and the atmosphere is too dry. You might need one if your skin is itchy and your lips are chapped. A humidifier is a good source of relief to a dry cough, sore throat, and nasal congestion. It will not cure your cough, but moisture helps you cough the mucus out. This type of product will ease the accumulated dryness in your chest and nose.
Overall, a humidifier will help you breathe better.
A high-quality dehumidifier can be useful when there are excessive amounts of moisture in the air. Although there is no definitive opinion amongst scientists in regards to a dehumidifier’s benefits for allergies, this device will decrease the growth of specific allergens and dust mites, mold, and mildew. These particles can lead to headaches, difficulty breathing, sneezing, and a runny nose.
One of your lungs’ greatest indoor enemies is mold. It appears on the walls of houses where there is too much humidity in the air. There is a high chance that cities on the sea or ocean coast suffer from large amounts of moisture. Therefore, families who live by the water are more exposed to bacteria and viruses that benefit from humidity. A dehumidifier can take care of the extremely humid conditions of the air in the homes of these families.
Best Humidifiers for Allergies Comparison Chart
|Aprilaire 500 Whole House Humidifier||$$$$||10.2 x 15.6 x 13″||7.75 pounds||12 gallons per day||up to 3,000 square feet|
|Homasy Cool Mist Humidifiers||$$||9.8 x 7.9 x 13.8″||3.24 pounds||5 liters of water vaporizes a room in 40 hours||550 square feet|
|Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic 5L/1.32 Gal||$||22 x 11.6 x 7.2″||3.5 pounds||5 liters of water vaporizes a room in 30 hours||320 square feet|
|MIRO-NR08M Completely Washable Sanitary Humidifier||$$$$$||14.5 x 12.5 x 12.2″||8.55 pounds||1 gallon of water can run for 8 hours||600 square feet|
|OPOLAR EV01 Digital Evaporative Humidifier||$$$||14.7 x 13.7 x 7.5″||6.7 pounds||0.8 Gal with 24 hours operation||300 square feet|
|TaoTronics Top Fill Humidifiers||$$||6.7 x 6.7 x 7.7″||4.85 pounds||1. 13 Gallon provides long-lasting mist for 17 – 36 hours||107 – 322 sq ft²|
|iTvanila Humidifiers,1 Gal Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier||$||7 x 7 x 11.2″||3.3 pounds||4L tank provides up to 15 hours – 40 hours||270-320ft2|
Your Questions – Our Answers
We are almost done here, but there is one more thing left to do. You might be asking yourselves some more questions that we have not covered yet. We have prepared some of the most common issues when it comes to humidifiers and allergies for your peace of mind.
- Do I Need to Clean My Humidifier?
Yes, just like any valuable device that improves the climate in your house, the humidifier needs to be maintained in good shape. The question is not if, the question is how to clean your humidifier? Read the instructions provided by the manufacturer if there are any tips on cleaning. Our advice is that you clean all the plastic parts, including the tank, with a solution of vinegar and water by using a brush to reach all corners. Let it dry, and then the humidifier will be ready for another refill.
- What Size Humidifier Should I Get?
This depends on the size of your room. Most humidifiers come with a note on the square foot coverage they could function for. Small humidifiers are usually able to cover a single place. If you need to provide humidity for more than one room, check the label of the humidifier before you purchase one.
- Are There Any Specific Requirements Regarding the Water in the Humidifier?
Some people prefer to use distilled water as it has been purified. Again, read the instructions. You can use tap water. However, bear in mind that hard tap water, when released in the air, contains more substantial amounts of mineral deposits which are unhealthy for people with respiratory problems. Soft water is a better option.
Congratulations on the new knowledge you have obtained! We are sure that now you will be able to find the best humidifier for allergies that there is out there on the market. If you are ever in doubt, just refer to the tips we have given you, and the decision will be as clear as the air a humidifier can provide you with. You can also once again check our reviews on humidifiers for allergies if you want to make the process even more comfortable.
That’s all from us, folks! If you think any of your friends could benefit from our guide, please, share this article with them. We would really appreciate it! We would also happily reply to any of your remaining questions or feedback! Do not hesitate to contact us. Thanks so much for reading, and as always – stay put!