- 1 Reviews on the Top Portable Fans – (Editors’ Choice)
- 2 How to Take Good Care of Your Portable Fan?
- 3 Managing Your Breathlessness Using a Handheld Fan
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 5 Best Portable Fan Comparison Chart
- 6 Wrap Up
It is a hot summer day, and you are trying to sleep, work, or do something else that requires your full attention. What are you going to do to stay focused? Of course, turning on the air conditioner is an option. However, what if you are somewhere camping in Nature or in public transport? You probably wish you had an air conditioner with you. How about having the best portable fan instead?
These fans are the most popular cooling devices recently, and there are a lot of reasons for this. These tools are easy to carry with you wherever you go. Moreover, they are small and, at the same time, powerful. Read our reviews on portable fans to understand what their benefits and drawbacks are and to decide whether you need one. Being outdoors, on the beach or in the mountains will be a much more enjoyable experience once you start using a portable fan.
OPOLAR Handheld Face Fan
|View On Amazon|
COMLIFE Portable Handheld Fan
|View On Amazon|
COMLIFE Clip-On Stroller Fan
|View On Amazon|
YIHUNION Mini Handheld Fan Portable
|View On Amazon|
Version TECH Mini Handheld Fan
|View On Amazon|
Aluan Handheld Fan
|View On Amazon|
Flyitem USB Mini Portable Fan
|View On Amazon|
Reviews on the Top Portable Fans – (Editors’ Choice)
In this part of our buying guide, you are going to read the reviews of some of the products that we think are worth considering buying. Please, note that they are not presented in any particular order:
1. OPOLAR Handheld Face Fan
Despite its small size, the OPOLAR face fan provides a very powerful airflow. There are three levels of speed – low, medium, and high. This device features a folding design so you can easily place it in your bag and take it with you when you travel.
The fan has a very comfortable handle, which means that you can carry it with you when you do outdoor activities. If you need some cool breeze while you are working, you can attach the fan to the desktop of your computer using its special clip. The product comes with two batteries, each one of which can last from 2, 8 to 11 hours without being charged.
An advantage is that the fan can work without the need to be plugged in. You can charge this tool with a portable charger. If you are at the beach under the umbrella, you can also use this fan as it has two hooks at the back that can be attached to the umbrella. It can also be a good portable fan for camping.
- Quiet operation.
- The device comes with an extra battery.
- Batteries run for long hours.
- This fan is convenient to carry because of its handle.
- The fan doesn’t come with a power cable.
2. COMLIFE Portable Handheld Fan
This fan features 360 degrees rotation, which means that the airflow goes in different directions. The circulation of air is concentrated thanks to the six blades.
This device has a special Octopus tripod design so that it can attach tightly to the back seat of your car. The Comlife handheld fan has four levels of speed. Moreover, it has a memory function. So whenever you turn on the fan, it will operate at the level at which it was adjusted before you turned it off.
The Li-Ion battery of the unit should last anywhere between 2 and 8 hours. You can charge the gadget via the USB of your computer, car charger, or mobile phone adapter. Whenever the light at the back of the fan stops, then it is fully charged. You can use this device in your car, on your desk, or as a handheld fan.
- The material of the fan makes it safe to use near babies because it is eco-friendly plastic
- Thanks to the octopus tripod of the fan it can be attached to anything.
- With its 57 dB, you will barely hear the presence of the unit.
- The battery is Li-Ion meaning that you won’t need to worry about buying batteries all the time.
- The fan is not equipped with a battery life indicator.
- You may have to charge it more frequently than expected.
3. COMLIFE Clip-On Stroller Fan
The COMLIFE Stroller Fan is one of the top products available at the market because of several reasons, one of which is the fact that it can easily clip on a baby stroller. This tool clips so tightly to the stroller or the back seat of your car that you shouldn’t worry about it hurting your child.
Another advantage of this fan is that it is equipped with a special tank in which you can put essential oils or liquid mosquito repellents. This COMLIFE product also features a stepless control of the speed levels. So you can quickly change from the highest to the lowest one or vise versa.
The fan can rotate horizontally and vertically from 0 to 360 degrees. This device is one of the battery-powered fans, and it can work with one or two batteries. When the indicator light at the back of the fan starts flashing in red, you should recharge it. If you don’t want to use batteries, you can remove them and power it via USB.
- Even at high speed, the unit is pretty silent
- The batteries that it comes with last for a long time without the need to be charged.
- Thanks to the oscillation mode, you can feel the breeze from every angle
- Rotates to all directions both horizontally and vertically.
- The clip of the fan is not big enough to attach it to thicker surfaces.
- The fan is a bit heavy.
4. YIHUNION Mini Handheld Fan Portable
The Yihunion fan has four levels of speed. Apart from the usual low, medium, and high levels, there is also a sleep mode. You can change the levels by repeatedly pressing the on and off button. When you fully charge this device, it can work from 3 to 13 hours.
You don’t need any cables to make this fan operate. You can use it both inside and outside. This cooling tool is USB powered, and it can be connected to a lot of different USB interfaces. You can use the device while it is being charged. The fan comes with a stand so that you can put it on your desk when you are inside.
When you are outside, you can use it as a handheld fan. The package of the product contains the fan, a USB cable, a fan stand, and also a user’s guide. The fan doesn’t fold.
- Lightweight – easy to carry
- The device is small enough to fit any bag.
- Thanks to the stand, you can use it without having to hold it.
- The fan is small, but it provides very powerful air circulation.
- Sometimes the light indicator doesn’t show correctly if the fan is fully charged or not.
- The USB cord for charging is very short.
5. Version TECH Mini Handheld Fan
Thanks to its design, the Version TECH fan can be attached to your umbrella so that you can enjoy some cool breeze in the summer. You can also use it as a handheld cooling device, or put it on our desk or attach it to other surfaces.
There is an option of folding the fan to 180 degrees so it can fit in your bag when you go out. You can recharge it via USB, but it is also a battery-operated fan. If you choose the second option, make sure that you remove the insulation from the battery place.
Otherwise, you won’t be able to charge the fan. By repeatedly pressing the on and off button of this gadget, you can choose from the three levels of speed – low, medium, or high. The product comes with a USB charging cord. The fan has a brushless motor, which makes it durable.
- You can put it on the desk, hold it, or attach it to your umbrella.
- Transporting the unit isn’t hard because it is foldable.
- The product comes in different colors you can choose from.
- This cooling gadget has three-speed settings.
- The battery may not last long.
- The on-and-off button can be accidentally pressed on when it is in your bag.
6. Aluan Handheld Fan
The Aluan fan provides powerful air circulation because of its built-in copper motor. By pressing the power button of the device, you can choose from the two-speed settings. The tool is USB-powered, but it can also work on polymer lithium batteries, which are rechargeable.
There is a red light that flashes while the fan is being charged. This light disappears once the device is fully charged. This fan is so small in size that you can put it in your pocket. This Aluan product comes in three colors – blue, pink, and white. You can use the fan while it is being charged.
The cooling gadget won’t bother you while working or sleeping, as it operates very quietly. A disadvantage of this cooling unit is that there is no indicator which to show you that the battery is dying. The fan cannot stay upright on your desk, but you can use the special string that comes with it and hang it on your neck.
- Will even fit in your pocket.
- The device is lightweight so you can carry it everywhere with you.
- Quiet operation
- The USB handheld fan is quite powerful for its size.
- You should be warned that the on-and-off button gets pressed on easily. So the fan can be accidentally switched on.
- The battery may not last for as long as advertised without being charged.
7. Flyitem USB Mini Portable Fan
The Flyitem fan is bladeless. There is a sponge that is intended to absorb cool water. The freeze function of the device makes a cool breeze. This fan comes in different colors you can choose from. This product is made of plastic, which is durable.
Inside the unit, there is a built-in soft sponge. The product comes with a built-in battery, but it also has a USB port, and it comes with a USB cable. On the white part of the unit, next to the on-and-off button, you can find the hole for the charger. The tool features a sleek design, and it can fit any bag because of its small size.
The fan comes with a strap that you can put around your wrist so that you are sure you won’t drop the fan if your hand gets tired of holding it. A disadvantage of this product is that it doesn’t have an indicator to show you whether the fan is fully charged.
- This fan is comfortable to hold because of its design.
- There is a strap, which makes it a wearable fan.
- You got a few color options to select from
- Durability is one of the signature advantages of the product.
- The device doesn’t last for long without being charged.
- The fan may seem a bit noisy when operating.
8. OPOLAR Small Desk Fan
The OPOLAR fan is easy to control – it has one button with which you can adjust the device to one of its three levels of speed. This cooling gadget provides a very powerful airflow. Despite this fact, it functions very quietly even when it is set at high speed.
This product is an eco-friendly one because it is energy-saving. The OPOLAR fan is USB powered, and you can charge it using your computer, power bank, laptop, or phone charger. The head of this device can tilt from 0 to 40 degrees.
You can easily clean the blades of the fan when you remove its front part. This product comes with a one-year warranty. A disadvantage of this fan is that it needs to be plugged in to operate since it is not battery-powered. If you expect this tool to fold, it doesn’t do this. However, it features a very compact design so you can put it in your bag when you travel.
- The fact that you can remove the front part of the frame to clean the blades is a convenience.
- Despite its small size, the fan is very powerful.
- Its compact design allows it to fit in bags.
- The fan features three levels of speed.
- After some time of using the fan, you may hear some annoying buzzing sound.
- This device works only when it is plugged in.
How to Take Good Care of Your Portable Fan?
If you want to enjoy the convenience of having a portable fan that can provide you with a cold breeze anytime you want, you should first know how to take good care of it. Below we will show you how to clean your fan so that the air that it blows into you is healthy to breathe. Another aspect of care, apart from keeping the unit clean, is to know how to repair it in case this is needed. In this section, you can also find some maintenance pieces of advice.
How to Clean the Fan Blades on a Portable Fan?
Since you can take portable fans anywhere with you, they get pretty dusty after some time of being used. The parts of the fans that gather dust the most are the blades. Thus you can breathe some unhealthy contaminants that the air cooling gadget blows into your face. As we are concerned about your health, we will show you how to clean the fan blades on a portable fan.
In addition to the health issues that the dust on the blades can cause, it also poses a risk of fire. Some of the portable fans are easy to clean; others require more time and effort since you have to disassemble the unit. We believe that by following several simple steps, you will be able to deal with all types of fans:
- The first thing you need to do is to switch off your portable fan. It would be very challenging and risky to try to clean the blades while they are in rotation. Don’t try this!
- Then unplug the fan from any source of power, regardless if it is a USB one or another kind.
- If your device has a grilled frame, then you should unscrew the grill and remove it. Some fans may have clips that hold the front and the back grill together. If this is your case, you need to unclip the two parts of the grill.
- Once you have removed the grill, you need to vacuum it and leave it aside. If you don’t have a vacuum cleaner, you can use a brush instead.
- Take the blades out of the motor box and vacuum them.
- Then wipe the blades with a wet cloth.
- After that wipe them again, but this time with a dry cloth.
- Put the blades back at their place in the unit of the fan.
- Join the front and the back grill together with the clips or the screws. Plug your fan in, turn it on, and enjoy the cool fresh air.
Now you know how to keep your portable fan clean. The cleanliness factor is also relevant when we talk about other types of fans. It is even more important for your ceiling fan to be clean since it is at your home, and the dust that it gathers circulates in the air that your family breathes. If you want to know how to clean your ceiling fan visit our ceiling fan reviews. There you will find some useful tips on how to maintain the fans at your home.
Portable Mini USB Fan Repair at Home
As we have mentioned above, the other aspect of taking good care of your fan is related to maintenance. If you want to know how to repair your portable mini USB fan at home, follow the steps enlisted below. Let’s tear down your portable fan.
If your portable fan doesn’t seem to be working correctly or if it is not as efficient as it was before, don’t throw it away. Even if its blades stop rotating or if it starts producing weird sounds, there is still some chance of fixing it. The following instructions will help you to bring your fan back to normal:
- Before you start repairing the device, you need to find a screwdriver, a wrench (8mm), and also some lubricant.
- Use the screwdriver to loosen the screws which keep the front and the back part of the frame together.
- Remove the front part of the frame.
- Again use the screwdriver to loosen the screws which attach the blades to the motor shaft.
- Remove the blades by pulling them up.
- There is a wiring cover which is situated above the motor. You should remove this cover.
- Take the motor away from the mounting plate. To do this, you have to loose two screws that keep it attached to the shaft.
- Now is the time to loose the final two screws, which are used to hold the mounting plate of the motor to the back part of the frame of the fan.
- What you should see at this point is a hole at the center of the back part of the frame. The motor should go through this hole so that you can take it out of the frame.
- With the help of the screwdriver and the wrench, remove the magnets from the motor.
- Check the motor and the magnets for any issues that may have caused the fan not to work correctly.
- When you reassemble the magnets and the motor, try not to tighten the screws too much.
- Last but not least, put some lubricant on the mounting brackets and in the shaft of the magnet.
Now you know how to repair your portable fan in case this is needed. You may need this knowledge when your whole house fan needs maintenance. However, these fans are a bit different and require more expertise.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to call a professional technician to come and fix these cooling devices. You can just go to our guide on getting and installing a whole-house fan. After all, you don’t want to end up without the convenience of this important piece of appliance in the middle of the hottest season.
Managing Your Breathlessness Using a Handheld Fan
There are a lot of people that find it difficult to breathe during the hot summer days. Some of them run out of breath just after a few minutes of walking outside. Have you heard of the idea of managing your breathlessness using a handheld fan?
1. How can a portable fan help you get rid of your breathlessness issues?
Scientists have proved that whenever you suffer from breathlessness, some flow of cold fresh air can be beneficial. If you are in your car, you can open the window for some cool air. If you are at home, you can open several windows to make the air at home circulate. Installing an efficient window fan is also an option. However, what can you do if you are outside, having a walk in the park, for example? The most efficient thing is to use a portable fan. It is advisable to carry one in your bag. Most portable fans are small in size so that they won’t be too heavy for you.
2. How can you use your portable fan to deal with your breathlessness?
Whenever you feel you are running out of breath, do the following:
- Sit down comfortably on a chair – make sure your back is supported, then lean forward.
- Take the fan and hold it against your face so that there is 6 inches distance between the gadget and your face.
- Focus the airflow on the central part of your face. You should feel the airflow around both sides of your nose and above your upper lip.
- Hold on for several minutes, and you should feel better.
You may try to use your portable fan after every activity that causes breathlessness, such as running, dancing, or climbing stairs.
Please remember to recharge the batteries of your portable fan so that you can always have it at your disposal.
As we mentioned above, you can use portable fans to fight your breathlessness when you are outside. If you are somewhere inside, you can use any towe4r. Read our reviews of tower fans and choose the most suitable one for you! Your breathing issues can be solved just by checking on our buying guides and following our useful tips.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Are USB fans any good?
USB fans are worth it because of several reasons.
- The first one is that you can use these fans anywhere where you can take your laptop, computer, or any other device that has USB ports.
- The second reason is that you don’t need a special cable or adapter to charge these devices. You can use USB cables from other pieces of the appliance.
- Last but not least, most of the USB fans can be used while being charged.
2. What is the strongest battery-operated fan?
Here, we have prepared some of the features of the strongest battery-operated fan:
- In terms of size, you probably think that smaller fans are better because they are easier to carry. However, the bigger the cooling device is, the more powerful it is. So the strongest battery-operated fan should be medium size – so that it can provide powerful air circulation, but at the same time, you can carry it with you.
- Endurance of battery. The battery of the strongest fan should endure at least 4 hours when operating at a low speed. The most efficient batteries last for 40 hours without the need to be charged.
- Other power sources. The top battery-operated fan should have some alternative options for being recharged. Most of the fans can be battery and USB-powered.
3. Are portable fans safe?
Most of the portable fans available at the market are safe. Here are several factors to consider in terms of safety:
- To be secure, your fan needs to have a frame which to hold the blades. Otherwise, one can accidentally touch the blades when they are in rotation. You can imagine what can happen in such a case. You would be lucky if you ended up with some scratches on your fingers.
- If your cooling device doesn’t have a frame, then check if the blades are soft. If they are plastic, touching them when in rotation can be a very unpleasant experience. The most suitable material for fan blades is nylon. Nylon blades are soft, and nothing will happen if you are in their way.
- If you intend to use the fan to provide some fresh air for your baby, you should be very careful. Take a fan that can be securely tightened to the baby stroller or the back seat of your car. Otherwise, the device may fall and hurt your child.
- For safety reasons, it is better to try not to use the fan while it is being charged.
- Last but not least, keep the fan away from your hair, especially if it is long.
The above factors are valid for portable fans. If you are interested in other fans and how to use them safely, you are more than welcome to check on our homepage. There you can read our reviews on the top-notch box fans, high-quality evaporative swamp coolers, and other cooling devices. In our buying guides, you can find useful information on how to ensure that they work efficiently and safely.
4. Is there a fan that runs on batteries?
Of course, there are fans that run on batteries. Some of them are only battery-powered. In most cases, the batteries are rechargeable. The most efficient batteries can endure from 4 to 40 hours when the fan operates at a low speed. There are also other types of fans that are both battery and USB-powered.
Best Portable Fan Comparison Chart
|OPOLAR Handheld Face Fan||$$||3.9 x 1 x 7.8''||3||2200 - 3000 - 3700 RPM||2. 8 to 11 hours|
|COMLIFE Portable Handheld Fan||$$$||6.3 x 5.7 x 4''||4||2800 - 3300 - 3600 - 3800 - 4200 RPM||3.5-13 hrs|
|OPOLAR Small Desk Fan||$||13.1 x 5.5 x 3.7''||3||1800 - 2100 - 2400 RPM||It has to be plugged|
|COMLIFE Clip-On Stroller Fan||$$||8.3 x 5.7 x 3.7''||Stepless regulation||Depends on speed||6-32 hours|
|YIHUNION Mini Handheld Fan Portable||$||8.3 x 4.1 x 1.6''||4||N/A||3-13 hours|
|Version TECH Mini Handheld Fan||$||4.5 x 2.8 x 4.1''||3||up to 2000 RPM||About 4 hours|
|Aluan Handheld Fan||$||5.6 x 3.6 x 1.5''||2||3500 - 5000r/ min||90 - 180 minutes|
|Flyitem USB Mini Portable Fan||$||12 x 7 x 3''||N/A||N/A||1-1.5 hours|
Doing outdoor physical activities in the hot summer days can be really challenging because of the heat. Some people even have breathing issues that get activated when the temperature outside rises a lot. The best portable fan can help you enjoy doing sport outside even during the summer. Most portable fans are convenient to carry, and you can take them with you anywhere you go.
We hope that after reading our reviews on portable fans, you will find it easier to choose the product that will suit your needs. Now you know how to take good care of your portable fan by keeping it clean and repairing it whenever necessary. You are also familiar with the benefits that these fans have for your breathing system. We tried to give detailed answers to the most frequently asked questions. Thanks for reading, and as always – stay put!
For more product reviews like the top-rated garage fan reviews please visit our website!